About Our Themes
We believe learning shouldn’t be confined to a classroom. We believe your child’s success later in life depends on the choices you make now.
The Connecticut River Academy Sustainability Theme includes two areas of study, Environmental Studies and Advanced Manufacturing.
Environmental Studies provides students with opportunities to experience first-hand what environmental scientists and engineers actually do. Students learn about relevant environmental and social issues such as climate change and green energy in the school’s state-of-the-art laboratories and on its very own research vessel.
Students can also explore how current advancements in technology will shape the future of our planet with Advanced Manufacturing. Working hands-on with cutting-edge equipment and high-tech machinery such as 3-D printers and robotics, students gain experience in technologies including advanced manufacturing, engineering, and logistics.
Early College Model
In addition to a full range of high school courses, students grade 11-12 have the opportunity to earn up to 30 transferable college credits through our early college model. Unlike at many other high schools, our students get a head start on their college career while still in high school, all at no tuition cost. At the Connecticut River Academy, students are prepared academically and socially for college – laying an important foundation for their future success. Our students enjoy a curriculum filled with opportunities for hands-on learning and discovery – inside and outside the classroom.
- Early College model with opportunities to earn 30 tuition-free, transferable college credits while still in high school
- Sustainability theme with a focus on the Connecticut River watershed area
- Hands-on learning including engineering and advanced technologies
- State-of-the-art technology including collegiate level science labs and laptop computers for every student
- Internship opportunities with high-tech corporations including advanced science and technology experiences
- Extended day for advanced enrichment, academic, and social supports
Habits of Mind as Learning Outcomes
Educational outcomes in traditional settings focus on how many answers a student knows. When The Connecticut River Academy teaches for the Habits of Mind, we are interested in how students behave when they don’t know an answer. The Habits of Mind are performed in response to questions and problems, the answers to which are not immediately known. We are interested in enhancing the ways students produce knowledge rather than how they merely reproduce it. We want students to learn how to develop a critical stance with their work: inquiring, editing, thinking flexibly, and learning from another person’s perspective. The critical attribute of intelligent human beings is not only having information but also knowing how to act on it.
To learn more, read our Habits of Mind Overview.
Our Vision and Values
To graduate each of our scholars with the confidence and competence required to use their gifts to contribute to a just and sustainable world.
CTRA values AWARENESS, DIVERSITY, & ACTION.
Our Magnet Standards
CTRA scholars will contribute to a just and sustainable world by:
Magnet Standard 1: demonstrating self- and global awareness
- Using self-reflection to identify personal values, interests, strengths and challenges
- Making plans and using strategies and resources to contribute to personal well-being, to the well-being of others, and to the well-being of the environment.
- Increasing global awareness to improve the efficacy and wisdom of decisions
Magnet Standard 2: demonstrating a respect for the importance of diversity in the community of life
- Communicating an understanding of how diversity impacts our physical, social, and cultural environments
- Seeking diverse ideas and relationships
- Making collaborative and informed decisions
Magnet Standard 3: demonstrating the impact of individual and social actions and
decisions on the community of life
- Communicating an understanding of how choices impact our environments
- Acting individually and collectively to positively impact our environments